Funiculars operate on a fixed route and are moved by one or more ropes. The carriageway can be at ground level, elevated or moved underground. The vehicles move in shuttle mode and stop in the stations for boarding and alighting.
- Cabin size until 250 persons
- Drive speed until 12 m/s (42 km/h)
- Independent of wind
- Very high capacity of up to 8000 persons per hour possible
- Ideal connection to the existing tram or bus network
- Fixed departure times can be planned (connection to tram or bus network)
- Connection of conurbations (e.g. city centre and shopping centre)